Weather Forecast

Click for Wauneta, Nebraska Forecast

USDA designates Dundy County as a primary natural disaster area with assistance to producers in surrounding states PDF Print E-mail
Written by Wauneta Breeze   
Thursday, 29 May 2014 00:00

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has designated Dundy County in Nebraska as a primary natural disaster area due to the recent drought.

“Our hearts go out to those Nebraska farmers and ranchers affected by recent natural disasters,” said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. “President Obama and I are committed to ensuring that agriculture remains a bright spot in our nation’s economy by sustaining the successes of America’s farmers, ranchers, and rural communities through these difficult times. We’re also telling Nebraska producers that USDA stands with you and your communities when severe weather and natural disasters threaten to disrupt your livelihood.”

Farmers and ranchers in the following contiguous counties in Nebraska also qualify for natural disaster assistance: Chase, Hayes and Hitchcock. Farmers and ranchers in the following contiguous counties in Colorado and Kansas also qualify for natural disaster assistance: Yuma County, Colo.,

Cheyenne County, Kan. and Rawlins County, Kan.

All counties listed above were designated natural disaster areas on May 21, 2014, making all qualified farm operators in the designated areas eligible for low interest emergency (EM) loans from USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA), provided eligibility requirements are met. Farmers in eligible counties have eight months from the date of the declaration to apply for loans to help cover part of their actual losses.

FSA will consider each loan application on its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability. FSA has a variety of programs, in addition to the EM loan program, to help eligible farmers recover from adversity.

Additional programs available to assist farmers and ranchers include the Emergency Conservation Program, The Livestock Forage Disaster Program, the Livestock Indemnity Program, the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program, and the Tree Assistance Program.

Interested farmers may contact their local USDA Service Centers for further information on eligibility requirements and application procedures for these and other programs. Additional information is also available online at