|Wild, Loud & Proud: Palisade ready for Pioneer Days 2011|
|Written by Wauneta Breeze|
|Thursday, 09 June 2011 20:42|
By Tina Kitt
The Wauneta Breeze
Palisade Pioneers Days 2011 have arrived. The town’s weekend community celebration will be in full swing Friday, Saturday and Sunday, June 10-12.
The theme for this year’s Pioneer Days is “WILD, LOUD & PROUD — WILD about our community, LOUD about our future, PROUD of our past!” Organizers say this year’s event is shaping up to be one of the best Pioneer Days celebrations ever, with something in store for everyone.
Events for the Pioneer Days weekend kick off this Friday evening with the Alumni & Friends Banquet.
The banquet speaker is Craig Larsen, dubbed a “funny man/story teller.”
Some of the banquet’s $17 tickets remain, which include the meal and entertainment or you can pay $5 at the door just to hear Larsen share his world view and life philosophy, offering a unique twist. To inquire about a banquet ticket call Lisa Kisinger at 308-737-7778.
Pioneer Days’ main event is Saturday, with the day chock full of events including a morning parade, kiddy carnival, free barbecue and dancing to a live band.
Palisade’s celebration concludes on Sunday with a community carry-in picnic at the park followed by a gospel songfest at the Church of Christ.
The weekend’s line-up of events, with all times given as Central Time, includes:
Friday, June 10
• Palisade School open for tours beginning at 5 p.m. CT.
• Alumni & Friends Banquet with inspirational comedian/storyteller Craig Larsen at the Palisade school gym at 6:30 p.m. CT.
Saturday, June 11
• Breakfast at the Fire Hall from 7 to 9 a.m. CT. A free-will offering will be taken with all proceeds going to the Palisade Fire Department.
• Pioneer Days registration at the Village Office from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. CT.
• Photography Contest entries on display at JD Studios on Main Street from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. CT.
• Craft Fair at the Smith Building on Main Street from 10 a.m to 2 p.m. CT.
• Pioneer Days Parade — WILD, LOUD & PROUD — downtown Palisade beginning at 10:30 a.m. CT.
• Dime Toss, Kiddy Carnival and Cake Walk beginning at 11 a.m. CT on Main Street.
• Soft Serve Ice Cream on tap at the Auxiliary Hall at 11 a.m. CT.
• Lunch at the Legion Hall, served by the VFW, beginning at 11 a.m. CT.
• Sand Volleyball at Krotter Park beginning at 11:30 a.m. CT — registration begins at 11 a.m. CT.
• Bingo from 1 to 3:30 p.m. CT at the SWPPD Community Room, sponsored by the Am-Vets.
• Free Swimming at the Palisade municipal swimming pool at Krotter Park from 1 to 5 p.m. CT.
Bounce House at Krotter Park from 1 to 7:30 p.m. CT.
• Horseshoe pitching at Krotter Park beginning at 2 p.m. CT. Registration begins at 1:30 p.m. CT, with a $5 registration fee charged.
• Kids Games at the Krotter Park Field get underway at 5:30 p.m. CT.
• Free BBQ, sponsored by Southwest Public Power District, served from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Krotter Park.
• Pie and Ice Cream at Krotter Park will be served by AmVets.
• Dance to a live band — Country Rebels & Crazy Horses — at Krotter Park from 8 p.m. to midnight CT.
Sunday, June 12
• Morning Worship Celebration at Krotter Park beginning at 10:30 a.m. CT.
• Community Pot Luck Dinner at Krotter Park beginning at noon CT.
• Gospel Songfest and community sing-along with Randy Hayes & Rick Eldred at 3 p.m. CT at the Palisade Church of Christ.