|WauPal/Hitchcock County wrestling squad gears up to host season-opening tourney|
|Written by Wauneta Breeze|
|Sunday, 28 November 2010 17:33|
By Tina Kitt
The Wauneta Breeze
One week from today the gym in Palisade will be packed with loudly cheering Wauneta-Palisade and Hitchcock County wrestling fans. The season will get underway for the cooperative squad, now in its third year, on Thursday, Dec. 2, when the Bronco/Falcon crew hosts their season opening home meet.
Action will get underway at noon MT/1 p.m. CT and is expected to continue into the evening hours.
This year’s 10-member squad is coached by Jeff Schwartz and Ryan Hoffman of Hitchcock County and Rich Wilson of Wauneta-Palisade. This is Schwartz’s second year as head coach, with Hoffman the newcomer to the coaching staff. Wilson rejoins the squad this year as an assistant coach after a one-year hiatus. Wilson was the head coach of the combined squad during its inaugural season.
Teams competing in next week’s meet include WP/HCU, Maxwell, North Platte St. Pat’s, Medicine Valley, Sutherland, Perkins County, Dundy County-Stratton, and possibly, North Platte High School’s jayvees.
Two days later, on Saturday, Dec. 4, the WP/HCU squad will travel to the Alma Invite at 9 a.m. MT/10 a.m. CT.
Other meets scheduled for the 2010-11 season include:
• North Platte St. Pat’s Invite on Friday, Dec. 10, at 2 p.m. MT/3 p.m. CT.
• Cambridge Invite on Saturday, Dec. 18, at 8:30 a.m. MT/9:30 a.m. CT.
• Dundy County-Stratton Invite at Benkelman on Saturday, Jan. 8, at 9 a.m. MT/10 a.m. CT.
• Chase County Invite on Saturday, Jan. 15, at 9 a.m. MT/10 a.m. CT.
RPAC Tourney at Cambridge on Friday, Jan. 21, at 1:30 p.m. MT/2:30 p..m. CT.
• Medicine Valley Invite at Curtis on Friday, Jan. 28, at 9:30 a.m. MT/10:30 a.m. CT.
• Arapahoe Invite on Saturday, Jan. 29, at 9 a.m. MT/10 a.m. CT.
• Southwest Invite on Friday, Feb. 5, at 8:30 a.m. MT/9:30 a.m. CT.
• The District C-4 Meet is set for Feb. 11 and 12 in Valentine. Other schools assigned to the C4 district include Ainsworth, Bridgeport, Chase County, Gordon-Rushville, Hershey, Kearney Catholic, Kimball, Loomis/Bertrand, Mitchell, Morrill, Ord, Sargent/Burwell, Southern Valley, Valentine and West Holt.
• The Nebraska State Wrestling Meet will be held Feb. 17, 18 and 19 at the Qwest Center in Omaha.
Wauneta-Palisade/Hitchcock County Unified assistant wrestling coach Ryan Hoffman, at right in the center ring, shows squad members quick attack moves during an evening practice last week. The full team practices together Monday through Thursday in Trenton, utilizing the lunchroom/multipurpose room there. Coaches and team members are gearing up to host their season opener next Thursday in Palisade. (Wauneta Breeze Photos | Tina Kitt)
Coaches will look to the team’s two seniors Marco Ramirez and Dustin Brown to provide leadership for the squad.